MOUSE OVER TO ZOOM
CLICK TO ENLARGE
LEFT RIGHT

Ho-Made Pickle Label

SKU: ULB1130 $0.85 USD



Historic Overview

This 3.6” Wide x 2” High vintage label for Ho-Made Sweet Pickles went on a 1 pint, 6 ounce jar and dates to the 1950s. The pickles were packed by Chicago Pickle Company of Redgranite, Wisconsin. The “Ho” was for Home Made not the popular phrase of today.

The Chicago Pickle Company, also known as “Chipico” began making kosher pickles in 1925 and was started by Irving Olevsky. The company’s pickles were cured in barrels in garlic brine under refrigeration, never cooked, which produces the crisp pickle found in many delis.

In 1984 the company was purchased by Vienna Beef LTD Corporation. This privately held corporation began in 1893 when they introduced the Vienna Chicago-style hot dog at the Chicago Worlds Fair. This is the official hotdog used in the famous Chicago dog and the bright green relish that goes on it is made by The Chicago Pickle Company. The pickle company has manufacturing plants in Florida, California, and Michigan.


WE GUARANTEE ALL LABELS TO BE AUTHENTIC AND AS DESCRIBED!


Customers Also Viewed

Oh! Boy Georgia Peanut Butter Label
$2.15
This Oh! Boy Peanut Butter label is from Roddenbery Brothers in Cairo, Georgia. By the way, if you're from South Georgia that's pronounced “Kay_Row”. The label dates back to 1930s and has a great image of a young boy receiving his peanut butter & jelly (we guess) sandwich. This label went on an 8 oz. jar and measures 2" Wide x 1.85” High in unused near mint condition. This label is obviously when Dr. Roddenbery included his brother in the business. Dr. Seaborn Anderson Roddenbery started his medicine practice in 1862 in a horse-drawn buggy. In the same year he purchased a farm and sold open kettle sugar cane syrup from his medical buggy as he made his rounds. By 1867 he had an office and a general store that sold syrup from large cypress barrels, and people would bring their own jars and fill them with his cane syrup. Within five more years he had acquired 1000 acres and started to reduce his medicine practice, since he claimed 90% of his patients didn’t pay him. In 1889 Roddenbery marketed the first pure Georgia cane syrup as "Roddenbery's Old Plantation Molasses." Around 1920 the business became known as the W. B. Roddenbery Company. It was 1934 when the company expanded their product line to include peanut butter and in 1936 they added pickles. They continued expanding their products adding boiled peanuts, watermelons, and even cigars under a variety of labels. By 1986, the company was producing 45 kinds of pickles, 12 types of syrups, 4 varieties of peanut butter, and millions of boiled peanuts. In 1993 Dallas-based Dean Foods purchased the W. R. Roddenbery Company and about ten years later they closed the Cairo facilities. WE GUARANTEE OUR LABELS TO BE AUTHENTIC AND AS DESCRIBED!
June Boy Georgia Peanut Butter Label
$2.00
This rare peanut butter label comes from the Georgia Pickle Company of Cairo, Georgia and dates to the 1930s. The Georgia Pickle Company is really the W. B. Roddenbery Company, who packed syrup, peanut butter, and pickles. The label measures 1.8” Wide x 2.5” Tall and is in excellent condition. The label shows a young boy with his dog and a fishing pole headed to the local fishing hole. The company also has a pickle label that shows a pickle with a fishing pole. I guess here they went with a more traditional look. Dr. Seaborn Anderson Roddenbery started his medicine practice in 1862 in a horse-drawn buggy. In the same year he purchased a farm and sold open kettle sugar cane syrup from his medical buggy as he made his rounds. By 1867 he had an office and a general store that sold syrup from large cypress barrels, and people would bring their own jars and fill them with his cane syrup. Within five more years he had acquired 1000 acres and started to reduce his medicine practice, since he claimed 90% of his patients didn’t pay him. In 1889 Roddenbery marketed the first pure Georgia cane syrup as "Roddenbery's Old Plantation Molasses." Around 1920 the business became known as the W. B. Roddenbery Company. It was 1934 when the company expanded their product line to include peanut butter and in 1936 they added pickles. They continued expanding their products adding boiled peanuts, watermelons, and even cigars under a variety of labels. By 1986, the company was producing 45 kinds of pickles, 12 types of syrups, 4 varieties of peanut butter, and millions of boiled peanuts. In 1993 Dallas-based Dean Foods purchased the W. R. Roddenbery Company and about ten years later they closed the Cairo facilities. WE GUARANTEE OUR LABELS TO BE AUTHENTIC AND AS DESCRIBED!


Customer Reviews WRITE A REVIEW

Error message here!

Hide Error message here!

Forgot your password?

Error message here!

Error message here!

Hide Error message here!

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Error message here!

Back to log-in

Close