MOUSE OVER TO ZOOM
CLICK TO ENLARGE
LEFT RIGHT

Large White Collar Avocado Crate label

SKU: CRL1107 $2.60 USD



Historic Overview

This is the older White Collar label. It measures 13” Wide x 5” High and dates to the 1940s. The label has a red diagonal band across a black background. E. & G. Avocado Company was the packer and shipper from La Habra, California.

In 1926 a postman named Rudolph G. Hass decided to try his hand at growing avocados on a 1.5 acre plot in La Habra, California, that he’d used all his savings to purchase. Hass bought several experimental seedling trees to plant. Once the trees reached a sufficient size, Hass attempted to graft different avocado varieties onto them, a common practice that speeds up fruit production. However, one tree proved resistant to grafting, so Hass planned to cut it down. But his children talked him out of it, because they liked the taste of that particular tree’s fruit.

The spared tree turned out to produce abundant fruit with great nutty taste. It resisted damage during travel, had a very long shelf life and year-round growing season. In short, Rudolph Hass was producing avocados with unique commercial advantages. In August 1935, he obtained a patent for his new avocado variety, which he named after himself, Hass.  Rudolph Hass’ patent expired in 1952, the year he died.

Today the Hass has become the “super avocado.” It accounts for 95% of the avocado production in California. The Hass “mother tree” that started it all continued producing fruit in La Habra Heights for 76 years, but she finally succumbed to root rot in 2002.


WE GUARANTEE OUR LABELS TO BE AUTHENTIC AND AS DESCRIBED!



Customers Also Viewed

Oh! Boy Georgia Peanut Butter Label
$2.15
This Oh! Boy Peanut Butter label is from Roddenbery Brothers in Cairo, Georgia. By the way, if you're from South Georgia that's pronounced “Kay_Row”. The label dates back to 1930s and has a great image of a young boy receiving his peanut butter & jelly (we guess) sandwich. This label went on an 8 oz. jar and measures 2" Wide x 1.85” High in unused near mint condition. This label is obviously when Dr. Roddenbery included his brother in the business. Dr. Seaborn Anderson Roddenbery started his medicine practice in 1862 in a horse-drawn buggy. In the same year he purchased a farm and sold open kettle sugar cane syrup from his medical buggy as he made his rounds. By 1867 he had an office and a general store that sold syrup from large cypress barrels, and people would bring their own jars and fill them with his cane syrup. Within five more years he had acquired 1000 acres and started to reduce his medicine practice, since he claimed 90% of his patients didn’t pay him. In 1889 Roddenbery marketed the first pure Georgia cane syrup as "Roddenbery's Old Plantation Molasses." Around 1920 the business became known as the W. B. Roddenbery Company. It was 1934 when the company expanded their product line to include peanut butter and in 1936 they added pickles. They continued expanding their products adding boiled peanuts, watermelons, and even cigars under a variety of labels. By 1986, the company was producing 45 kinds of pickles, 12 types of syrups, 4 varieties of peanut butter, and millions of boiled peanuts. In 1993 Dallas-based Dean Foods purchased the W. R. Roddenbery Company and about ten years later they closed the Cairo facilities. WE GUARANTEE OUR LABELS TO BE AUTHENTIC AND AS DESCRIBED!
Witchal Witch Hazel Label - Large
$1.75
This is a fascinating Witch Hazel label from 1910 that we carry in two sizes. This is the larger label measuring 5” Wide x 3.25” High. It is from the E.E. Dickinson & Co., Essex, Connecticut and is “A valuable household remedy indicated in all inflammatory conditions.” Witch Hazel, unlike some snake oil remedies, actually works. The practice of steeping the twigs and leaves of the witch hazel plant originated with Connecticut's Native American population and produced a mild astringent which was used as a family remedy for a variety of minor ills. Commercially, however, little profit was made due to the product's short shelf life. The first person to harness the commercial potential was Dr. Alvin F. Whittemore, in the early 1860s. The secret to the doctor's success was that by adding alcohol, he preserved the witch hazel, vastly increased the product's shelf life. For the remainder of the decade, witch hazel continued to be produced by an ever changing consortium of partners, settling with the Reverend Thomas N. Dickinson. Founded in 1875 by Edward E. Dickinson, Sr., the company refined the development of witch hazel begun by the Reverend. A family controlled company until its sale, E. E. Dickinson survived the Depression and both World Wars intact and profitable. By 1983, and no longer thriving, the family sold the company to a group of investors. It is now owned by the German pharmaceutical concern, Merz Inc. WE GUARANTEE OUR LABELS TO BE AUTHENTIC AND AS DESCRIBED!


Customer Reviews WRITE A REVIEW

Error message here!

Hide Error message here!

Forgot your password?

Error message here!

Error message here!

Hide Error message here!

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Error message here!

Back to log-in

Close